Now more than ever, the perfect cup of joe needs additional items on the go. With busier customers and jam-packed schedules, time is of the essence and convenience is king. The answer: grab-and-go food and beverages, a trend that's not just reshaping the coffee shop landscape, but also playing a crucial role in meeting the evolving needs of customers.
Embracing the need for speed
Life moves fast. Coffee shops need to move faster. To keep pace with customers’ desires to streamline routines, more cafes than ever are serving up grab-and-go items. This range of ready-to-eat and portable potables enable patrons to satisfy their cravings without the pesky waiting part.
Diverse palates, diverse choices
Broader audiences yield broader bank accounts. While some customers crave the complexity of a carefully brewed pour-over coffee, others are looking for a quick and satisfying snack like a Lenka Bar or beverage like Liquid Death. By diversifying your offerings to include grab-and-go drinks, protein bars, chips, and other delights, you can be sure that more customers have more reasons to choose your coffee shop.
A healthy dose of convenience
Who says you can’t have it all? Not consumers who expect convenience with a healthy side of, well, health. A well-curated selection of grab-and-go items allows your coffee shop to meet the demands of health-conscious, label-reading, nutrient-watching consumers. Consider incorporating items like Favor Shot, the ultimate option in wellness on the go. Other good options might include granola bars, fruit cups, and low-calorie seltzers and probiotic drinks to provide healthier alternatives without compromising on convenience. Win. And win.
Latte all day
Coffee shops are no longer confined to the morning rush. As the boundary between breakfast, lunch, and snacks continues to blur, coffee shops have become all-day destinations. Make sure yours is in the consideration set with grab-and-go items that offer quick, round-the-clock favorites, whether they're grabbing a quick breakfast like Mylk Labs Oatmeal Cups on their way to work or a latte for a late-afternoon pick-me-up.
Your profit margins are showing
Here’s something to grab onto: grab-and-go items have the potential to significantly boost revenue. These items often can have high profit margins and can act as supplementary sales, especially during non-peak hours. At Barista Underground, we offer wholesale pricing on everything from artisanal chips to chai peanut butter bars so you can maximize margins–and maximize profits. Think of grab-and-go offerings as revenue snacks for your business.
Pour on the positives
In the competitive world of coffee shops, creating a positive and memorable customer experience is essential. Grab-and-go items don’t just provide convenience. They enhance the overall experience by giving customers choices that fit their lives, which in turn, promotes additional visits. In a market saturated with coffee shop options, standing out is crucial. Integrating grab-and-go items into your menu not only meets customer expectations, but also sets your establishment apart from the competition.
Adapting to changing consumer behavior
Times–and people–are a-changin’. Consumer behavior is a dynamic force, constantly evolving with societal trends. Today, the demand for convenience is at an all-time high, with customers valuing time-saving solutions. Coffee shops that adapt to these changing preferences position themselves as forward-thinking establishments that are in tune with the needs of their clientele.
The other social network
“Let’s meet for coffee” has been around as long as coffee shops themselves. Underscore your cafe as the hub where people gather, socialize, network, and connect by emphasizing your inclusivity for different tastes and preferences. With grab-and-go items, a group can gather at your shop, each choosing a snack or drink that suits their taste, making your place THE place to go.
Navigating practical challenges
Ready to start offering grab-and-go items? Good. Thinking through the practical challenges associated with implementation? Even better. Consider whether you have adequate storage and property inventory management, and ensure the quality of these items aligns with the standards set by your coffee shop. Nothing ruins a good idea faster than poor execution. Here are some strategies for a successful program.
Go Time: Your Checklist for Grab-and-Go Greatness
- Curate a Diverse Selection: Offer a range of options that cater to different tastes and dietary preferences. This includes energy drinks, protein bars, chips, snacks, oatmeals, seltzers, and more.
- Highlight Local and Artisanal Products: Showcase locally sourced or artisanal grab-and-go items to add a unique touch to your offerings. This supports local businesses and resonates with customers seeking authentic and high-quality products.
- Regularly Update the Menu: Keep your grab-and-go menu dynamic by introducing new items and rotating seasonal offerings. Fresh offerings mean fresh business.
- Create Eye-Catching Displays: Visual appeal matters. Use signage and promotional materials to educate customers about the convenience and variety of your grab-and-go options, and employ attractive design to showcase your grab-and-go items.
- Educate Staff and Customers: Ensure that your staff is knowledgeable about the grab-and-go offerings. Encourage them to make personalized recommendations based on customer preferences.
- Integrate Technology: Embrace technology to streamline the ordering and payment process for grab-and-go items. Whether it's through a mobile app or a dedicated ordering kiosk, technology makes grab-and-go go even faster.
- Gather Customer Feedback: Not sure how customers are feeling about your grab-and-go items? Ask. Feedback provides valuable insights into popular items, areas for improvement, and emerging trends.