1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
1 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, divided
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease mini muffin tins with non stick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together 1/4 cup butter, oil, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and light brown sugar with the paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, all-purpose flour, and whole wheat flour. With the mixer on low, slowly add the milk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating between milk and dry ingredients. Be sure to start and end with milk. Beat until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins and bake for 10-11 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool before removing from tins.
- While the muffins cool, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. In a small, shallow dish, mix 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- Dip the tops of the cooled muffins in the melted butter and then into the sugar and spice mixture. Allow topping to set for a few minutes before serving.
- 38 mini muffins
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes